Changing Consulate Interview Venue for LGBT Applicants

Oftentimes, LGBT beneficiaries of family-based (I-130) and fiance(e) visa petitions (I-129F) may want to change the visa interview location where the safety of the LGBT applicant may be at issue. The Department of State understands these concerns and has provided the following procedure for changing venue.

  1. File I-130 or I-129F petition and designate the consular post in the beneficiary’s home country.
  2. After the petition is approved and the case is transferred to NVC, contact NVC via the contact form at
  3. State the reasons why the beneficiary is afraid to return to their home country.
  4. Provide up to 3 alternate venues in order of preference.
  5. NVC will then transfer the case to one of the alternate venues.
  6. The new post will confirm to NVC that it will take jurisdiction and NVC will advise the applicant accordingly.